Borno State is a state in North-Eastern Nigeria. Its capital is Maiduguri. The state was created in 1976 from the split of the North-Eastern State. Until 1991 it contained what is now Yobe State.
There are (3) three sets of Legislatures in the state like any other states in the federation. They are:
- The Senators who are three in numbers. They represent the State at the Upper Chamber called the Red Chamber.
- The Representatives who are also ten in numbers. They represent the state at the Lower Chamber in the Federal Capital Territory called the Green Chamber
- The State house of Assembly who are 28 in numbers. They seat as law makers in the state.
The three senators namely:
- Hon. Kashim Shettima the immediate past governor was elected on the platform of All Progressive Party to represent Borno Central which comprises of the following local government: Bama, Dikwa. Jere, Kalagalge, Konduga, Mafa, Maiduguri and Ngala
- Abubakar Kyari was also elected on the platform of All progressive party to represent Borno North Senatorial Constituency comprising of Abadam, Gubio, Guzamala, Kaga, Kukawa, Magumeri, Marte, Mobbar, Monguno and Nganzai. He has been a Senator in the 6th, 7th and 8th Assembly
- Mohammed Ali Ndume (four time senator) was elected on the platform of the All Progressive party to represent Borno South Senatorial District comprising of : Askira Uba, Bayo, Biu, Chibok, Damboa, Gwoza, Hawul, Kwayar Kusa and Shani.